You are here
Exclusion or confirmation of acute Heart Failure
VIDAS® NT-proBNP2 is a useful tool for rapid clinical assessment and diagnosis of patients with symptoms of suspected heart failure.
- High sensitivity and specificity
- Allows initiation of timely, appropriate treatment
- Cost-effective tool adapted to emergency situations
VIDAS® NT-proBNP2 is an automated quantitative test for the determination of the N-terminal fragment of brain-type natriuretic peptide in human serum or plasma using the ELFA (Enzyme-Linked Fluorescent Assay) technique. Early diagnosis of heart failure is key to improve patient outcome. Using NT-proBNP2 can help clinicians optimize management of patients with dyspnea in the emergency room. This has shown to result in significant cost savings for healthcare structures due to shorter stays in the emergency department and reduced patient re-hospitalization(1).
A proven marker for Heart Failure
International guidelines recommend the use of B-type natriuretic peptide testing in the diagnostic workup of Heart Failure (HF) in both acute and non-acute patient presentation(2).
In the emergency department (ED), NT-proBNP is particularly useful for the triage of patients with acute dyspnea and suspected acute HF. It is highly sensitive and specific for exclusion (single rule-out cut-off value of 300 pg/mL) or confirmation of acute HF (age-adjusted rule-in cut-off values) (3).
*The area between the rule-out (<300pg/mL) and the rule-in (age-ajusted) cut-off values is designated as the "gray zone".
NT-proBNP in the evaluation and triage of ED patients with acute dyspnea (4)
Click to enlarge »
In primary care, NT-proBNP is particularly useful to guide referral of symptomatic chronic HF to specialist care because it excludes suspected left ventricular systolic dysfunction. Compared with NT-proBNP values in patients with acute HF, lower values are expected in ambulatory chronic HF patients. International guidelines recommend a single low cut-off of 125pg/mL to rule out HF for patients presenting with non-acute symptoms. However peer-reviewed literature supports the use of age-dependent cut-offs to adjust for loss of specificity in such settings(5).
High sensitivity and specificity
VIDAS® NT-proBNP2 enables accurate Heart Failure diagnosis, particularly when used with the recommended age-dependent threshold value:
In addition, VIDAS® NT-proBNP2 levels are strongly correlated to the severity of Heart Failure as assessed by the NYHA classification:
Data from VIDAS NT-proBNP2 clinical validation studies* - Click to enlarge »
* See package insert for performance details
Ease of use
- Short time to result: only 20 minutes
- All-inclusive kit
- Ready-to-use reagents
- Long shelf life
- Limited calibrations and controls (once a month)
- Protocol compatibility with VIDAS® B.R.A.H.M.S PCT™, VIDAS® Galectin-3, VIDAS® Troponin I Ultra
- Single-dose VIDAS® NT-proBNP2 format: run only the test you need
- NT-proBNP testing leads to cost savings in the emergency room:
NT-proBNP is cost-effective in the diagnosis and management of dyspneic patients in the emergency room(1)
- Moe G.W, Howlett J, Januzzi JL, et al. N-terminal Pro-B-type natriuretic peptide testing improves the management of patients with suspected acute heart failure. Primary results of the Canadian prospective randomized multicenter IMPROVE-CHF study. Circulation 2007;115: 3103-3110.
- McMurray JJ, Adamopoulos S, Anker SD, et al.; ESC Committee for Practice Guidelines. ESC Guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of acute and chronic heart failure 2012: The Task Force for the Diagnosis and Treatment of Acute and Chronic Heart Failure 2012 of the European Society of Cardiology. Developed in collaboration with the Heart Failure Association (HFA) of the ESC. Eur Heart J. 2012;33:1787-847
- Januzzi JL, van Kimmenade R, et al. NT-proBNP testing for diagnosis and short-term prognosis in acute destabilized heart failure: an international pooled analysis of 1256 patients: the International Collaborative of NT-proBNP Study. Eur Heart J. 2006 ;27:330-7.
- Januzzi JL, Chen-Tournoux AA, Moe G. Amino-terminal pro-B-type natriuretic peptide testing for the diagnosis or exclusion of heart failure in patients with acute symptoms. Am J Cardiol. 2008;101 (Suppl.):29A-38A.
- Hildebrandt P, Collinson PO, et al. Age-dependent values of N-terminal pro-B-type natriuretic peptide are superior to a single cut-point for ruling out suspected systolic dysfunction in primary care. Eur Heart J. 2010;31:1881-9.
|Technical specifications for VIDAS® NT-proBNP2|
|Tests / kit||60|
|Time to result||20 minutes|
|Decisional cut-offs||Rule out cut-offs:
Non-acute onset:125 pg/mL
Acute onset: 300 pg/mL
|Sample type||Plasma or serum|
|Sample volume||200 µL|
|Calibration frequency||28 days|
|Shelf life||12 months|
Find more technical details on www.myvidas.com.
Consult your local bioMérieux representative for product availability in your country.
- McMurray JJ, Adamopoulos S, Anker SD, et al.; ESC Committee for Practice Guidelines. ESC Guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of acute and chronic heart failure 2012: The Task Force for the Diagnosis and Treatment of Acute and Chronic Heart Failure 2012 of the European Society of Cardiology. Developed in collaboration with the Heart Failure Association (HFA) of the ESC. Eur Heart J. 2012;33:1787-847.
- Yancy CW, Jessup M, Bozkurt B, et al. 2013 ACCF/AHA Guideline for the Management of Heart Failure: A Report of the American College of Cardiology Foundation/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines. Circulation. 2013;128:e240-319.
- KIM HN, JANUZZI JL Jr. Natriuretic peptide testing in heart failure. Circulation. 2011;123:2015-9.
- JANUZZI JL, VAN KIMMENADE R, et al. NT-proBNP testing for diagnosis and short-term prognosis in acute destabilized heart failure: an international pooled analysis of 1256 patients: the International Collaborative of NT-proBNP Study. Eur Heart J. 2006;27:330-7.
- BAGGISH AL, VAN KIMMENADE RR, JANUZZI JL JR. The differential diagnosis of an elevated amino-terminal pro-Btype natriuretic peptide level. Am J Cardiol. 2008;101(Suppl).:43A-8A.
- HILDEBRANDT P, COLLINSON PO, et al. Age-dependent values of N-terminal pro-B-type natriuretic peptide are superior to a single cut-point for ruling out suspected systolic dysfunction in primary care. Eur Heart J. 2010;31:1881-9.
- PORAPAKKHAM P, PORAPAKKHAM P, et al. B-type natriuretic peptide-guided heart failure therapy: A metaanalysis. Arch Intern Med. 2010;170:507-14.
Find more scientific and educational resources on www.myvidas.com.
COMPLETE YOUR SOLUTION
- Clinical Diagnostics
- Industrial Microbiology
- News & Events
- About us
- Contact Info
- My selection
bioMérieux Sweden AB - Hantverksvägen 15 - SE-436 33 Askim, SWEDEN
- Legal Notice
- Copyright 2022 bioMérieux SA